The Point

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Apropos d'Afrique

So. There's this thing going around. That I heard about over on Ugandan Insomniac. Apparently a bunch if people are doing an Africa Reading Challenge this year to read at least 6 books about or by authors from the continent. Since I've got about 4 on my list this year already, I figured what the hell? The suggestion, from siphoning off a few thoughts where it all began, is to read books a number of different genres, such as:
  1. Fiction (novels, short stories, poetry, drama)
  2. Memoir / autobiography
  3. History and current events
And also from at least 3 different countries. Without further ado, my list:

Tandia - Bryce Courtenay

This novel's predecessor, The Power of One, changed my life. Keeps echoing. I've been avoiding the sequel - also set in South Africa and co-starring Peekay - for some reason, but now that I have a
copy of Tandia at home and have been implored to read it by someone whose reading list I admire greatly, I have no excuse.

28: Stories of Aids in Africa - Stephanie Nolen

I really love Nolen's work as the roaming Africa correspondent for the Globe and Mail, and I've heard a lot of good things about this book. She somehow managed to get a blurb from Stephen Lewis for this non-fiction collection of honest, humanising stories, which is all the endorsement I need.

Searching - Nawal el Saadawi

When we read another one of this Egyptian author's books (Woman at Point Zero) in high school, I admit I was pretty sure I'd never read another one of her books again. Too dark, too heavy. A good friend of mine and the host of Put 'Er in D for Dangle on Tuesdays on CJSR back at home gave this novel to me recently though, and I think I'm ready to give her another try. Don't know anything about it, but I'm ready to explore.


The Search - Naguib Mahfouz

Another muy famoso Egyptian writer. I've had a bookmark in this short novel for a while, but haven't picked it up in about a year. I do remember it takes place in Alexandria sometime in the early (?) 20th century and had a sort of disorienting tone to it. See a
ny themes emerging in how I've been picking these yet?

The Anti-Politics Machine - James Ferguson

This study of development experiences in Botswana about the tendency for the development field to depoliticise (and perhaps ahistoricise?) inherently political issues is required reading for a class I've got to take next year and sounds pretty interesting, so I figure I'll try to get a head start. Because I'm a keener like that.


Sozaboy - Ken Saro-Wiwa

Kenule's life story has also had a deep, reverberating impact on me. This '
novel in rotten in English' is one I've had my eye on for a while.



So there we go! Wish me luck. I encourage you to jump in on the challenge. What have you got to lose?

Labels: , ,

posted by Christopher at 9:55 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.