The Point

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Not a sin

Call me a nerd (no really, do it, it feels good), but I am a sucker for self-confident, sexy singers who know exactly who they are and where they come from. Which is why I'm wondering, how did I not know until Friday how amazing Kinnie Starr was? (That would be her at right)

I went down to see the International Week wrap-up concert, The Power of Silence they called it, and it was really incredible. Not just in a "we're a multicultural quilt of love" way, which I totally dig, but genuinely amazing music and dance. Firefly never ceases to entrance me.

And of course, the kicker was Kinnie Starr, born and bred in Cowtown no less, who completely won me over. She's smouldering, hilarious, insightful, gentle, and is 100% confident in her own skin. With the possible exception of Tagaq, I don't know of any other aboriginal singer in Canada with such a powerful sense of themself and of getting others up to that microphone of life with her. At one point she literally offered the mic to anyone in the crowd who wanted it, and no one moved. She said,

"Hello! Human beings!"

and someone ran up to sing.

I missed the girl from Vic singing the national anthem in Cree at the Flames/Canucks game on Saturday (admittedly, one of the only times I've turned on Hockey Night in Canada this year), but did anyone else read this article in the Journal today about Derek Powder? (apologies, it's only available online for subscribers.) An excerpt:
Derek Powder joined a gang because he was tired of being ridiculed and bullied at school.
Physically and sexually abused as a child in a family where drugs and violence were the norm, he didn't fit in at school and was only able to express his anger through violence.
He became a drug dealer and an addict, and an alcoholic, and spent time in jail - until four years ago, when he decided to change his life.
Now 25, Powder works with Native Counselling Services of Alberta, is a single parent raising a six-year old daughter, and spends a lot of time trying to persuade young people not to follow the path he took.
His message is that even if you grow up in a dysfunctional family, you still have control of your life.
"Maybe if there had been somebody out there for me I wouldn't have taken that path," Powder told a forum on youth and gang violence Sunday.
"But I have moved forward and I'm not a victim anymore.
"There's more to life than drugs, parties and alcohol, and my daughter won't see that stuff."
The forum at the west-end Boys and Girls Club was a first step in getting more youth involved in addressing the issue of violence, said Kyle Dube, Western Canada program manager for YOUCAN, which organized the event.
"We want to engage youth and give them a voice. We don't want to be a bunch of adults talking to youth; we want to empower them to deal with the issues themselves."
Now that's real democracy. In fact, all of this talk about sustainability is bullshit unless there are more of us like Derek Powder and Kinnie Starr going out and handing that mic over. Aboriginal, Somali, Desi, Belorussian... it all comes down to speaking up.

Alright, alright, I'll go back to writing about books! But wait, don't you guys want a free book?! Send me your picture already! I know you have one lurking around your hard-drive waiting to be shared with the world... or me... so do it! You have until Sunday.

Photo credit: David Wiewel

Labels: , , ,

posted by Christopher at 12:45 a.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.