The Point

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mailbag Beach

Canadianvic in Halifax, Nova Scotia writes
I love you. and I love your blog, it's amazing. it's what I show people when I try to explain that a fame-like high school actually can be deep. How long are you leaving for and will you send me a postcard? P133 forever!!!
I generally take the fact that I don't get any hate mail to be a positive sign, but this is kind of overly perky. Where's the critical analysis of my contextualisations of Latin American women's literature? Where's the commentary on my heart-pumping illustrations of emancipatory theatre-based pedagogy? Extra points for hometown references to the Parkallen 133, but I might reconsider writing the essay I was planning to mail you over the course of five months on the back of a collector's edition series of endangered seabirds.

Jen in Brisbane, Australia writes
Christopher! You are undoubtably the smartest person I know... and coincidentally, my mom, the other smartest person I know, said she would read any book you recommended without question. She also said she runs into you all the time at home. Deja jealous? Yes, yes I am. btw, I'm reading The Power of One [!]
Jen's mom is actually, genuinely, one of the most intelligent people you will ever know. She and I used to pass each other in the hall at the hospital, but whereas I was going to my office to get a stack of papers to shuffle in order to create the appearance of work, she was more likely to be headed towards a lab in which she researched how to make a new type of brain. I am not making this stuff up.

centavo of Córdoba, Argentina wrote in again and said
I was reading your blog today, and the contest entries were quite impressive. Since you were talking about musicians who sing in different languages, have you ever heard of Juana Molina? She's a little bit weird, but I think she's great, and not just because she is Argentinean. I can bring her most recent CD to book club so you can hear her. Y me interesaria leer las Cartas de Mixquiahuala... yo habia estado buscando algo en castellano para leer.
I have not heard of Juana Molina, but this book club has in fact already happened and the topic was mysteriously avoided. Conspiracy? I should apologise for not making it clear that The Mixquiahuala Letters was actually first published in English! I believe it's available in Spanish as well, though. Other people's research maybe more reliable than my own musings.

Every single high school student in the US writes
Can you please explain the themes, symbols, and literary allusions of The Kite Runner in small words and do all of my homework for me?
You wish. No, wait, I wish.

Labels:

posted by Christopher at 1:19 p.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.