The Point

Saturday, December 02, 2006

It goes without saying

I try so hard not to fall for TV testimonials of how wonderful this or that organisation is, but I've been home a little under the weather these past few days and tonight I was glad of what we had with us on television.

Since today (it's still December 1st, by a hair) was World Aids Day, TLC was running a special about Ashley Judd and Salma Hayek and a visit they were doing with YouthAIDS to publicise the work the organisation is doing in Central America and shed some light on the people they help. I really did my best to keep in mind, Okay, these are celebrities, just because they're being photographed doesn't mean this is an unbiased picture of what YouthAIDS does and donating to them won't necessarily make a difference...


And then I stopped myself and turned off the Poverty Analysis NGO Management Development Modernisation Dependency Paradigm part of my brain.

Reach out to someone today. Or tomorrow, or even better, today
and tomorrow.

Sometimes a healthy dose of cynicism makes me realise compassion is much much more healthy.

Labels: , ,

posted by Christopher at 1:54 a.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.