The Point

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Muddy waters

I considered wading into the trenches of the almost-heated debate over Québecois being granted nation status by the government, which seems like pure populism to me, but Colby Cosh did it much more coherently much faster.

I say almost-heated because the consciousness of this debate here in Alberta seems to be about near that of... Acadian nationalism? It's hard to find a parallel that makes sense. If I had to summarise the mood in Edmonton today, it would be 'How in the hell did it get this cold this quickly?' I think by last Christmas it was still so warm we were pretty sure climate change had the whole winter thing licked and everybody is having to go try to find their remote car starters again, which nobody is happy about.

Well, almost nobody. I always think of brown slush when I picture Edmonton in winter, but these days it's white white white. I'm going to try to crack open some Hafez and feel the universe the way I did when going to the John Janzen Nature Centre to see the bees was pretty much the coolest thing ever.
posted by Christopher at 12:35 a.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.