The Point

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Onward and upward


Tomato seedlings shimmy out of a seed pellet

It's time to give this blog something it deserved years ago: a fond farewell.

I started The Point back in 2006 because I was bursting with stories, but had nowhere to tell them. It began as an exercise in writing about news and books for a couple friends, and became the public notepad where I really started crafting my skills as a writer.

Eventually I just outgrew it. No regrets.

Over the years, I was blessed with readers who wanted to hear what I had to say about Canadian literature, human rights, and big gay music. I really appreciate the support and patience so many people gave me to try my hand writing about these things. It's given me the courage to get published and start broadcasting. So thank you.

The most popular posts on here by far have been two short comments on my friend Ross Moroz, and his suicide in 2007 (here and here). That's probably fitting, since Ross was a friend, a mentor, a mean big brother, the cool kid I looked up to, and most of the reason I have confidence in my writing today. I'm older now than he was when he died. I'd like to think he's inspired me to be a little more badass, and a little more brave, to honour the gifts he gave me.

I think it's important to be kind to your younger self, and though I find a lot of the writing on here pretty overwrought now, I have my own highlights from writing for The Point. I held a Where You Live photo contest that attracted some beautiful entries from around Alberta and BC, and once wrote about Adam Gopnik's thoughts on the emerging model of the 'mindful' interactive museum.

From the book review series that started this blog, I think I'm most fond of my posts about Norwegian Wood and The Year of Magical Thinking, The Remarkable Maria, and Cry, the Beloved Country.

If you're interested in what I'm up to now, boots on the ground is the website where I currently host my radio and print portfolio.

Thank you again to everybody who took the time to read and comment on this blog. You've helped me burst out of my seed.

I'll get the lights on my way out.
posted by Christopher at 3:12 a.m.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.